Professor & Head
Department of Biotechnology
Visva-Bharati, Siksha Bhavana
Santiniketan 731235, West Bengal
|Email, Landline, Fax, Mobile no:
• Telephone & Fax: 03463 261101 (Office)
• Telephone : 03463 261120 (Residence)
• Mobile: +91-9434010754
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Biofertilizers and Seaweed liquid fertilizer technology
• Biodiversity and bioprospecting of freshwater and marine algae
• Biodeterioration of stone monuments and their conservation
• Microbiology and Microbial Technology
• Environmental Biotechnology
|Awards and Honours:
• Awarded gold medal for securing 1st position in 1st class in M.Sc. Botany Examination of Berhampur University, Odisha, 1976; also secured 1st position in 1st class in B.Sc. (Botany) Honours examination of Berhampur University, 1974.
• Awarded D.Sc. degree in Botany by Utkal University for the thesis entitled “ Ecophysiological studies on cyanobacteria under diverse environmental conditions” 2000.
• U.G.C. Research Award during Ixth plan by University Grants Commission, New Delhi, 1999
• Samanta Chandra Sekhar Award In Life Science for the year 1999 by Orissa Bigyan Academy, Govt. of Odisha.
• Bijoy Govinda Memorial Award in life Science by Bijoy Govinda Trust, Cuttack.
• Fellow of Indian Botanical Society (FIBS), 1998.
• Fellow of the National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (FNAAS), 2008
• Dr. B.P. Pal National Environmental Fellowship Award for Biodiversity by the Ministry of Environment and Forests, Govt. of India, 2010.
• Fellow of National Environmentalists Association (FNEA), 2010.
• “Life time achievement award in Phycology” by Krishnamurthy Institute of Algology, Chennai 2011.
• Prof. Harihar Patnaik memorial Award in Environmental science (Algology) by Orissa Botanical Society, 2012
|Fellowships Awarded for research visit abroad:|
• 1982-1983, Post-doctoral Fellow, supported by DAAD – Germany at the Institute for Microbiology, Freiburg i.Br., Germany. |
• 1991 – 1992, Visiting fellow, supported by J.S.P.S. at the National Institute for Basic Biology, Okazaki, Aichi, Japan.
• Oct. 1996 – Dec. 1996, Visiting Fellow, supported by DAAD at University of Konstanz, Germany
• Oct. 2001 – Nov. 2001,: Visiting Fellow, Supported by DAAD at the Institute for Microbiology and Molecularbiology, University of Giessen, Germany.
• September 2006 –INSA-ASCR exchange of scientists visit for 4 weeks at Trebon, Czech Republic.
• Oct. 2006 to Dec. 2006: Visiting Fellow, Supported by DAAD at the Forschungs Zentrum, Juelich, Germany:
• May 2006, May 2007 and June 2008: Visit to University of Rome “Tor Vergata”, University of Messina, Sicily, and University of Florence, Italy through a Indo-Italian Collaborative research.
• May 2008, Visit to Commenius University, Bratislava, Slovak Republic through a Visiting Fellowship of Slovak National Science Programme.
• May 2011: Visit to Biological Research Centre of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Szeged, Hungary though INSA-HAS Exchange of scientists visit.
• June 2011: Visit to University of Rome, Italy under the MOU between Visva-Bharati and University of Rome for the bilateral project “Biotechnology and nanotechnology of Cultural heritage”.
• 2013: Selected for visit Hungary for 15 days under Indo-Hungary Eucational Exchange Program by UGC
|Ph.D. students supervised:|
• 23 students Awarded Ph.D. between 1993 to 2013 (By Utkal University, Bhubaneswar); |
• 3 Currently working for Ph.D. at Visva-Bharati, Santiniketan
Completed eleven projects supported by DBT, DST,MOEF, UGC and CSIR between 1990 to 2012. |
• “Molecular taxonomy of stress tolerant cyanobacteria and characterization of stress proteins and antioxidant defence systems in selected anhydrobiotes” sponsored by Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India under DST-Cluster project on Genomics and Proteomics of stress tolerant cyanobacteria (2010-2013)
• Lab-to-Land project entitled ”Development of seaweed liquid fertilizer from seaweeds of Chilika lake for pulses and vegetable crops and entrepreneurship development in rural areas” sponsored by SEED Division, Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India, New Delhi, 2010-2013.
• International Bilateral collaboration project “Biotechnology and nanotechnology for conservation of cultural heritage” under MOU between University of Rome “Tor Vergata” and Visva-Bharati (2011-2014).
|Books published: |
• Algal Flora of Chilika lake, Daya Publications, New Delhi, 206 p, 2005 (ISBN 81-7035-351-3). |
• Blue green algae- survival strategies under diverse environments, Pointer Publishes, Jaipur, Rajastan, India, 201 p.,2006 (ISBN 81-7132-441-X).
• Environmental Engineering. India Tech Publishing Company Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi, 497 p, 2006.
• Soil and Freshwater algae from coastal region of Orissa state, India. Bibliotheca Phycologica, Vol.115, J. Cramer, in der Gebruder Brontraeger Verlagsbuchhandlung, 166 p, 2009.
• Publications in peer reviewed journals = 145 ; |
• Full papers in symposium proceedings and book chapters = 57 ;
• Total publications: 202 (up to May 2013)
|Representative publications ( Maximum 5 in last 3 years)|
• Sethi, S.K. and Adhikary, S.P. Seaweed liquid fertilizer production on cottage industry scale and its cost benefit. Seaweed Res. Utiln. 33: 161-164, 2011. |
• Rossi, F., Micheletti, E., Bruno, L., Adhikary,S.P. , Albertano, P. and DePhilippis, R. Characteristics and role of exocellular polysaccharides produced by five cyanbobacteria isolated from phototrophic biofilms growing on stone monuments. Biofouling, 28: 215-224, 2012.
• Sahu, J.K. and Adhikary, S.P. Phylogenetic analysis of two Stigonematalean cyanobacteria based on 16S rRNA sequence. Phykos, 42:59-64, 2012.
• Sethi, S.K. and Adhikary, S.P. Cost effective pilot scale production of biofertilizer using Rhizobium and Azotobacter. African J. Biotechnology, 11:13490-13493, 2012.
• Keshari, N. and Adhikary, S.P. Characterization of cyanobacteria isolated from biofilms on stone monuments of Santiniketan, India. Biofouling, odi.org/08927014.2013.794224, 1-12 pp, 2013.